I’m Julie Goes Healthy, or just Julie. After 5 years of blogging about my health journey, I’m back with a blog that reflects my life today. Health is still very much part of it but not all of it. Here, you’ll see my adventures at home, in Orange County and L.A., and travels.
You’ll see lots of solo trips. I’ll also be joined by my girlfriends, bloggers I’ve met along the way, hiking buddies, coffee club friends, work family, and strangers who become friends.
I grew up in Huntington Beach, California and without visiting, moved to Asheville, North Carolina for college. I spent 6 glorious years in Asheville, studied history and secondary education, worked at a preschool, and became a hipster.
I moved back to the O.C., received a credential in special education, and am using all my degrees (!) as a middle school special education history teacher.
My health journey
I was overweight until after college. I weighed as much as 185 pounds at 5’2. I lost weight safely until I took dire measures to lose the last 15 pounds. I suffered from anorexia and overexercised (6-8 hours/day) and weighed as little as 110 pounds. I subsequently lost my period for over a year. My body continued to rebel, or rather restore itself, by holding onto weight and incurring injuries (knee pain, bloating, adrenal fatigue).
I am continuing to work towards a peaceful relationship with my mind-body, learning about my flo and hormones, and healing.
I have been fortunate to encounter a great community of health and fitness bloggers and attended Blend Retreat, FitBloggin’, and BlogFest over the years where I met and connected with women who have inspired me.
- I’m an ENFJ.
- Mint green is my favorite color.
- I’m in a hiking club… and a coffee club… and I met most of my friends through Meetup.
- Never have I ever been in a relationship for longer than 6 months. I wouldn’t even call it a relationship…
- However, I lived with my platonic male housemate for 5 years. He is still one of my best friends.
- My favorite cities are Nashville, Tucson, Denver, San Francisco, and Atlanta.
- I have been to Calgary at least 6 times.
- Our family vacations growing up consisted of going to Las Vegas and losing grandpa to the slot machines in the middle of the night.